View Poll Results: 120 or 180 - Fun or practicality
120 - Looks awesome, but no poke 11 25.00%
180 - Still looks good, goes well, but high running costs 33 75.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-11, 03:44 PM   #1
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
Ive got a Dilema too: 180 vs 120 POLL

I've got a mk1 180 Hatchback in Anthracite which i admit i do love. I've owned it since about september last year and have maintained it with no expense spared. But the other day a Mk2 Saloon 120+ in Firefrost red and full 180 kit came up for sale just around the corner from me.

I've been thinking about downgrading to a 1.8 for a while (rising petrol/tax costs and all that) and if i was to do it, this is 100% the car i'd buy. I've just come back from a test drive in it, and its lovely! Mint condition, well looked after car. The only thing is, it didnt excite me like the 180 does. I put my foot down in second gear and there was nothing, i was waiting for a kick or something, and i dont know if its just because im used to the 180, but it was just slow, no other word for it. It still picked up nicely, just no power to play with.

Now im torn, do i go for the immaculate Mk2 120+ or keep my (still rather fresh looking) mk1 180 hatch and suffer the high petrol/tax/maintenance costs (Thats another thing, the 120 is SO much cheaper and easier to service yourself! I cant even change the plugs in the 180!!)

Im asking for some thoughts and opinions please Everyone loves a poll lol.

Cheers
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:48 PM   #2
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I had a 120 before my 180 and I wouldnt go back, might be better off with a zr 160.

After the 180 a 120 will feel fairly gutless. You need to rev the kseries as it doesnt have the torque the 180 has.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:48 PM   #3
Leigh_EvoIX

Leigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura aboutLeigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm... Is it more that you fancy a MrkII?

If petrol costs etc are really bothering you then do it. If its more a cosmetic thing then get a MrkII 180. I'd not have another 1.4/1.8 K series car to be quit honest.
Leigh_EvoIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 04:17 PM   #4
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
I dont think I could downgrade. V6 all the way.
Old 04-02-11, 04:18 PM   #5
haGGard

The petrol costs are expensive as i use my 180 to get to work and back every day, but its not a huge issue. The bigger issue is the awkwarness of the engine, the fact i need to buy more than one gallon bottle of oil, just to change the oil, that im constantly paranoid about vis motors and manifolds, that i cant even change the spark plugs because i cant get to the rear bank without removing the manifold. Also the fact i need the belts doing (silly money) and the 120 is about the same price of the belts needing doing more than i paid for my 180. I do love the 180, when it works its great. But the 120 was 'nice'. It was smooth, no knocks or rattles, from the engine or the interior. It definatly looks the part, i just didn't love it like the 180. But i can imagine maintaining the engine myself would be a lot cheaper and easier to do.
Old 04-02-11, 04:36 PM   #6
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
ive only gone to a 110 becus of the price of running a 180 is just ******* ridiculous right now

If it was me and theyre was no issues with the 180 and you can afford it keep it
Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 04:40 PM   #7
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Definitely ditch the MK1 for a MK2 whatever engine you've got in your MK1. Although you're really gonna miss the power of the V6. I'd hang fire until a nice MK2 180 comes along.
Old 04-02-11, 04:55 PM   #8
haGGard

Yea been thinking about it a bit more and i know i would miss the V6 power/torque. I do love my mk1. Only reason im fussing about it is because the belts are long overdue, and it was either buy this mk2 and be economical, or spend the extra money i need for the mk2 and get the belts done on the mk1
Old 04-02-11, 05:55 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Personally I prefer the looks of the MK1 anyday and much prefer the power deliver of the KV6 to the 4 pot, even the 160 so to me there is no question.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 05:58 PM   #10
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
i would get the mk 2 mate,as the belts need done which is costly,its newer,nicer looking,and petrol aint getting any cheaper mate,i just didnt have enough time when choosing my next motor hence why ave got a zr 105 pppfffft
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote