theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 27-08-11, 10:51 PM   #1
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Mk2 MG ZS TD - Return to Former Glory

I've just bought a 54 plate Mk2 TD hatchback which had been partially stripped because it had stopped working.

I'm getting no engine management light when I turn on the ignition, and from the amount of fault-finding that had already been attempted I think that the ECU may be dead. So primarily I need to repair or replace it, along with the ignition switch transponder and any related electronics to get it going again.

After that I want to make everything work how it was designed to do. This means replacing the electric windows ECU, loom and rear electric window mechanisms. TBH I'd settle for just getting the front ones working properly.

I also need an exhaust back-box. The car previously had a Powerflow one on it, which would do nicely. Or a Wingy one. But a standard one at a pinch would get me road-legal.

Oh and finally, can anyone tell me if the exhaust trim from a Mk1 would fit a Mk2? Ta!

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 08:44 PM   #2
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Bit of a bump - my ECU is definitely dead.
I need to either repair or replace a facelift TD ECU.
Is anyone breaking a Mk2 TD?
If not, does anyone have any recommendations about where I could get emergency surgery for mine please?

Old 03-09-11, 09:03 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Have you tried any of the scrap yards round your way, dont know what these are like but see they do ECU's.

http://www.roverbreakersukltd.co.uk/

Hope you can sort it easily.

Old 03-09-11, 09:20 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Failing any of your local breakers you could try www.partsgateway.co.uk

I'll find you a link for the guy who did my scu when I retrofitted lecky front windows on my mk2.

Here you are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/alun22bham...&_trksid=p3984

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 03-09-11 at 09:34 PM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:32 PM   #5
wackyschild

wackyschild is on a distinguished road
If you replace the ECU it will no longer be matched to the SCU so may be worth looking out for the set with matching keyfobs. I have been looking for a while, silly prices been quoted to me though.
wackyschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:50 PM   #6
Enright

Thanks for all the replies - I'm working my way through the contacts and will post back if/when I have any luck. Meanwhile, much appreciated.

Old 05-09-11, 01:48 PM   #7
Enright

Well, I've had some luck.
I got quite a few replies via PeteT16's "partsgateway" link, including one from the Rover Breakers mentioned in PeterZS's post immediately above.
Unfortunately most either went quiet or said "no" when I said that I required the ignition switch transponder, central locking ECU and keyfobs too -apart from the aforementioned Rover Breakers, who wanted ?192 (ouch).
Fortunately somebody local to me recommended this place: http://www.allcarelectronics.com/
It's quite close to both my home and work addresses - in fact they had a driver in the area late this morning. So they collected the ECU from me, and will rebuild it retaining the original coding and engine map for ?165. Now I know that sounds like a lot compared to ?192 for everything, but bearing in mind that the ECU had already had a remap and replacing that would cost me at least ?150, I'm pretty happy. I should even be able to get the security codes so that I can get another keyfob programmed into it, and as they're nice and local, I've got a few more options should the job not go straightforwards.
With luck the car will be roadworthy again within the week...

Old 05-09-11, 05:40 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Glad you got someone that knows how to sort it.

Will be worth it as it was a great looking car and will be again.

Old 05-09-11, 07:03 PM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Good result.

That's an outrageous price from the breakers, I paid ?70 for a mk2 180 ecu/scu +fobs and transponder.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 09:05 PM   #10
Enright

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Glad you got someone that knows how to sort it.

Will be worth it as it was a great looking car and will be again.

It's getting there already. I've been alternating between a bit of cosmetic work (well, it spurs you on to be able to be working in a nice environment!) and a bit of electronic/mechanical.

Tomorrow I should get the resprayed bumper back, then the progress will really start to show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31082011528a.jpg (55.6 KB, 46 views)