theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 17-01-12, 12:07 PM   #1
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Decat is on

Well folks, had the decat put on today but I forgot the camera so will take some pics at home in next couple of days and get some posted. They have modified the old cat so that can bolt back in just after the flexi for the mot.

But............

I haven't notice any difference in performance and a minimal change in sound. I am a little disappointed to be honest.
Will the ecu take time to learn?
Inner wing induction kit is now a must!
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 01:34 PM   #2
Levi

Levi is on a distinguished road
When I first fitted my sports cat and piper cat back, it sounded lovely but performance felt a bit worse if anything, not responsive. I too felt disappointed. But after a good few miles it started to feel good again.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 02:36 PM   #3
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
whats the point of a fantasticly free flowing exhaust if the engine is being starved of nice air
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 03:18 PM   #4
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Mine felt more unrestricted from the word go tbh. Need to sort inlet air out really.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 04:06 PM   #5
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
whats the point of a fantasticly free flowing exhaust if the engine is being starved of nice air
The cat/flexi was falling apart mate that's the only reason for doing decat first
Induction is next on list, well after brakes and tyres as safety is more important
Old 17-01-12, 06:05 PM   #6
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Agree with tyres, but brakes - cat amongst pigeons time here: unconvinced unless you're regularly getting brake fade.
Bigger brakes will dissipate more heat and so you can do more stops before they begin to go away, but the limit of how quickly you can stop is how you get ALL FOUR wheels to brake as hard as possible without locking.
Adding bigger brakes may feel better but they do nothing to increase your level of grip - they just help you to reach the locking point sooner. And adding them at 1 end and unbalancing the system is actually likely to INCREASE stopping distances as the rear wheels may not have reached maximum retardation while the fronts are drawing parallel black lines.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 17-01-12 at 06:09 PM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 05:07 PM   #7
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
When my decat went on my old Mk1 180, it sounded better and felt stronger lower down the rev range - just breathed better - (but was fitted after a pipercross induction kit which in itself gave 6bhp improvement - dyno'd).

Standard induction on the 180 simply does not appear to be good enough and should be one of the first things to improve IMHO if you're looking for more power.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 10:39 PM   #8
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright View Post
Agree with tyres, but brakes - cat amongst pigeons time here: unconvinced unless you're regularly getting brake fade.
Bigger brakes will dissipate more heat and so you can do more stops before they begin to go away, but the limit of how quickly you can stop is how you get ALL FOUR wheels to brake as hard as possible without locking.
Adding bigger brakes may feel better but they do nothing to increase your level of grip - they just help you to reach the locking point sooner. And adding them at 1 end and unbalancing the system is actually likely to INCREASE stopping distances as the rear wheels may not have reached maximum retardation while the fronts are drawing parallel black lines.
Good job I am only replacing with standard brakes then. It's not a performance issue it's purely maintenance and that my current standard brakes need replacing. Standard brakes do the job just fine for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
When my decat went on my old Mk1 180, it sounded better and felt stronger lower down the rev range - just breathed better - (but was fitted after a pipercross induction kit which in itself gave 6bhp improvement - dyno'd).

Standard induction on the 180 simply does not appear to be good enough and should be one of the first things to improve IMHO if you're looking for more power.
Yeah like I say, next step after the essentials are out of the way will be cone in the inner wing
Old 19-01-12, 07:22 AM   #9
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
Mate the standard brakes are overated on the ZS180, will be fine putting an induction kit on there first.
Old 19-01-12, 08:41 AM   #10
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
Mate the standard brakes are overated on the ZS180, will be fine putting an induction kit on there first.
Need to do the brakes mate, they are getting seriously spongy. They have been on for a long time I think. They really are that bad at the mo lol. Plus haven't got the cash at the mo for any expensive ones. Was going to put Mintex ones on anyway.