theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 29-08-14, 08:52 PM   #1
tallgeese

tallgeese is on a distinguished road
I'm curious

I was talking with a friend today who has retro fitted a turbo to his little French diesel car and it got me thinking could this be done to a 120 zs? Or the other extreme could a super charger be installed on one? Has anyone tried this? Is it even possible?
Old 29-08-14, 09:06 PM   #2
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Anything is possible, depends on how deep yoir pockets are.

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-14, 10:01 PM   #3
henocsr

henocsr is on a distinguished road
Turbo charging the ZS 120 is not really that differcult. Made a lot easier by buying a Rover 75 1.8t to swap bits over from. You would need to be able to match the ECM to the lucus 5as unit, and fiddle about with the exhaust

Would probabaly be much easier though to do some simple tuning things to the standard engine like
  • Remove the standard pre cat style manifold for an earlier one (from a freelander or 218
  • Fit a VVC spec head with standard cams (VVC heads have better flow rates and larger valves
  • Fit MGF 135bhp cams, would need the MEMs unit too
  • air box from a 160 zr
  • Fit diesel exhaust centre section ( no silicencer box = less back press)
  • Fit a VVC stlye inlet manifold ( higher air volume, better flow)

all of the above will give more power and much more cheaply as most of the stuff can be got though scrap yards / ebay.
Of course better results could be got by buying from tuning companies etc, but then the price is always more
Old 30-08-14, 05:00 AM   #4
tallgeese

I would of course love to do all the above but as I said it was a curiosity thing. I'm just wondering what extremes the 1.8 could be taken to same with the zs V6 could it would it work lol
Old 31-08-14, 03:41 PM   #5
tallgeese

Has anyone done a remap on a standard 1.8? If so was there any big increase in power?
Old 02-09-14, 09:45 AM   #6
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by henocsr View Post
Turbo charging the ZS 120 is not really that differcult. Made a lot easier by buying a Rover 75 1.8t to swap bits over from. You would need to be able to match the ECM to the lucus 5as unit, and fiddle about with the exhaust

Would probabaly be much easier though to do some simple tuning things to the standard engine like
  • Remove the standard pre cat style manifold for an earlier one (from a freelander or 218
  • Fit a VVC spec head with standard cams (VVC heads have better flow rates and larger valves
  • Fit MGF 135bhp cams, would need the MEMs unit too
  • air box from a 160 zr
  • Fit diesel exhaust centre section ( no silicencer box = less back press)
  • Fit a VVC stlye inlet manifold ( higher air volume, better flow)

all of the above will give more power and much more cheaply as most of the stuff can be got though scrap yards / ebay.
Of course better results could be got by buying from tuning companies etc, but then the price is always more
I'd be surprised if you'd get more than 160bhp with 135 cams, even on a VVC head. You'd need it remapped and you'll still be well down on torque compared to a turbo, which is half the point of doing it in a car like the ZS. Not to mention a remapped turbo gives you 200 hp and 200 lb.ft on standard internals. Considering the effort, the 1.8T conversion in a ZS would be well worth the time and money.

As for supercharging, I've got a supercharged 1.9L VVC K series in my Midget. Supercharging was a lot of work (I had done the K conversion previously), but worth it. I have massive torque from everywhere (it will accelerate uphill in 5th gear from 1000 rpm, quite quickly) and quite a lot of power, with no lag.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 12:40 PM   #7
tallgeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG mad View Post
I'd be surprised if you'd get more than 160bhp with 135 cams, even on a VVC head. You'd need it remapped and you'll still be well down on torque compared to a turbo, which is half the point of doing it in a car like the ZS. Not to mention a remapped turbo gives you 200 hp and 200 lb.ft on standard internals. Considering the effort, the 1.8T conversion in a ZS would be well worth the time and money.

As for supercharging, I've got a supercharged 1.9L VVC K series in my Midget. Supercharging was a lot of work (I had done the K conversion previously), but worth it. I have massive torque from everywhere (it will accelerate uphill in 5th gear from 1000 rpm, quite quickly) and quite a lot of power, with no lag.
Sounds like a monster!

Turbos seem the cheapest way for a power increase but still not cheep
The pipe dream continues