theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 28-08-15, 12:04 PM   #1
Bakermgzs

Bakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the rough
Help me understand

Can any on help me I understand when your belt snaps you lose your timing so how do you put the engine back in time,is doing the belt hard?
Bakermgzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 01:06 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Not done it personally but there are timing marks on the crank pulley and on the cams themselves. If the rear two belts are intact you should only need to time the front belts and the rears and therefore the exhaust cams should be alright.

Search on the site for a guide and grab yourself a Haynes for instuction.

It's difficult with engine in car thoUgh.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 01:33 PM   #3
Bakermgzs

Bakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the roughBakermgzs is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately the belt are of the heads so it's all 3 belts got be done I just wish I could understand how it works I nearly have all the part just belt that's hold me back.them Haynes manual isn't really any good you got to refer to something else all the time.i tryed watching kv6 belt change on y tube but just explaines it for belt change not belt that's snapped. Engine is in car too
Old 28-08-15, 05:09 PM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I have only ever replaced a snapped belt on an 8 valve block so only had to line up 2 marks, 1 on the crank and one one the head.

However I think the principle is the same on the V6 quad cam.
Line up the mark on the crank, line up the marks on the inlet cams on the heads.
Fit belt.
Adjust the tensioner to take up the slack.
Line up the marks on the exhauast cams.
Line up the marks on the inlet cams.
Fit short belts.

But that is just a guess.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 06:03 PM   #5
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
if the belts snapped, you will likely need a new engine as well as new belts.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 06:18 PM   #6
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I didn't even click onto that! I thought it was just a timing question lol.

New engine.
May as well fit some bigger injectors and properly map that charger while it's getting done
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 06:32 PM   #7
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Talking

worth watching some youtube vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fFx8SPiTSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G49oCDYIgRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb9gmY0SbOE

its also detailed in the Rave Manual i sent you :-)
Old 28-08-15, 07:34 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
He's done the valves.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-15, 08:36 PM   #9
Bakermgzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I brought another engine and toke the heads off that,my bottom ends in good condition(engine done 39,000) was just bent valves I'm putting it all back together Sunday I can take some pics while doing the job if anyone's interested, my injectors are fine and more than capable of handling the charger it only when I change to smaller pully I'd prob have change them. People make the belt sound easy its probably is I'm just scared I'll do it wrong I'm buying timing tool kit new £96 so really want learn do belts myself,makes me laugh I've ripped the engine apart and put it together yet I'm scared of doing a belt
Old 28-08-15, 08:52 PM   #10
Jason04r

Jason04r is on a distinguished road
I changed the belts on mine with no experience . I watched the rover youtube video multiple times and cracked on with it.

Only thing to note that the rear cams can be out even if the front crank mark aligns , you'd need to crank another 180 degrees to align them. Best take some pictures after you've done and post them here..

Nothing worse than cranking it afterwards to find you've just mashed your pistons with the valves again . Mind I'm surprised there's no damage to the pistons after mashing the last time
Jason04r is offline   Reply With Quote